The City of Edmonds and the Edmonds Historic Preservation Commission have announced that two more owner-occupied residences have been added to the Edmonds Register of Historic Places. These additions bring to 13 the number of designated places on the register, twelve of which have been added this year.
The new additions to the Edmonds Register of Historic Places are:
The Great Northern Railway Section Foremanâ€™s House, 1011 2ndÂ Ave. S: Originally located just north of Dayton Street on the east side of the railroad tracks (now the railroad parking lot), the structure features a steeply pitched side-gable roof and tall double-hung windows on either side of the entry. The building largely retains its original appearance; however, there has been a single-story rear addition that is sheltered by an extension of the back roof slope. In 1958 it was moved to Dayton Street, where it was used as a single-family residence. The house was moved a second time to its current location on Second Avenue where it was placed on a new foundation and renovated.
Single-Family Residence, 533 3rdÂ Ave. S: Constructed in 1921during the early residential growth of Edmonds, this house is a prime example of early 20th century Craftsman bungalow design. The 1Â½-story rectangular house is covered by a bracketed front-gabled, medium-pitched roof. Projecting from the northern half of the west faÃ§ade is an entrance porch with a shed roof supported by corner piers. Notable design features include parge-coated piers supporting multiple post supports and exposed trellis-like double-roof framing and outriggers.
Owners of listed homes receive a commemorative plaque to display on their home attesting to its historic significance, as well potentially qualifying for certain tax, parking and other benefits. A complete list of these, as well as information on how to get your home on the register, is available at the Edmonds Historic Preservation Commission website.
The City of Edmonds and the Edmonds Historic Preservation Commission are actively identifying additional properties and historic sites for future inclusion on the Register. The Historic Preservation Commission is comprised of volunteer citizens dedicated to preserving the historic character of Edmonds.