Snohomish County Fire District 1 crews installed 110 free smoke alarms and replaced 32 smoke alarm batteries March 13 as part of Smoke Alarm Saturday, a countywide event sponsored by the Snohomish County Fire Prevention Association.
Fire District 1 firefighters installed the free alarms and batteries as they went door-to-door at three mobile home parks, including Ridge Acres at 23121 Edmonds Way, and neighborhoods in Mountlake Terrace, Lake Serene and Hilton Lake. Firefighters also handed out information at local businesses encouraging citizens to change (or check 10-year lifetime) smoke alarm batteries as they changed their clocks to Daylight-saving Time. Fire District 1 spokesperson Leslie Hynes said the agency visits mobile home parks for a reason: Smoke Alarm Saturday was started in response to the deaths of two girls and two women in a mobile home fire in Snohomish, where there were no working smoke alarms.
“We know smoke alarms save lives by providing the early warning you need to escape a fire. We want to spread the word and make sure everyone has access to this lifesaving technology” said Steve Sherman, a deputy chief with Snohomish County Fire District 1.
Free smoke alarm installation is available by appointment in Fire District 1’s service area, which includes unincorporated areas of south Snohomish County and the cities of Brier, Edmonds and Mountlake Terrace and the town of Woodway. To schedule an appointment in the Fire District 1 service area, email PublicEducators@firedistrict1.org or call Kim Schroeder, (425) 551-1254.
Did you know:
* Smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old should be replaced. Aging smoke alarms are unreliable and often are the source of nuisance alarms.
* “Borrowing” a smoke alarm battery can be deadly. Removing a smoke alarm battery for another use takes away its lifesaving benefits and puts your family at risk.
* Fire drills aren’t just for schools; practice escape at home too. Develop an escape plan with two ways out of every room, then practice so everyone knows what to do when the smoke alarm sounds.