Firefighters in Snohomish County Fire District 1 will be going door-to-door in five neighborhoods on Nov. 6 to install free smoke alarms and batteries as part of a countywide Smoke Alarm Saturday campaign.
“We know smoke alarms save lives by providing the early warning you need to escape a fire. We want to spread the word and make sure everyone has access to this lifesaving technology,” said Deputy Chief Steve Sherman of Snohomish County Fire District 1’s Fire Prevention Division.
Fire District 1 is the largest provider of fire and emergency medical service in Snohomish County, with full-time staffing at 12 fire stations, including Edmonds and Woodway.
For Smoke Alarm Saturday, Fire District 1 firefighters will be installing free smoke alarms in neighborhoods near Edmonds Fire Station 16, Mountlake Terrace Fire Station 19 and Hilton Lake Fire Station 12 (east of Everett); and in two mobile home parks north of Lynnwood: Lake Stickney Mobile Home Park and Carriage Club Estates Mobile Home Park.
Fire District 1 crews will also be outside area businesses on Smoke Alarm Saturday to remind citizens to change their smoke alarm batteries as they change their clocks from Daylight Saving Time. Along with information about smoke alarms, firefighters will be giving away free smoke alarm batteries while supplies last at these locations:
– Albertsons, 4301 212th St. SW, Mountlake Terrace.
– Fred Meyer, 2902 164th St. SW, Lynnwood.
– Petosa’s Family Grocer, 350 5th Ave. S, Edmonds.
– QFC, 22803 44th Ave. W., Mountlake Terrace.
– Top Foods, 21900 Highway 99, Edmonds.
– Safeway, 14826 Highway 99, Lynnwood.
Did you know:
– Smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old should be replaced. Aging smoke alarms are unreliable and often are the source of nuisance alarms.
– “Borrowing” a smoke alarm battery can be deadly. Removing a smoke alarm battery for another use takes away its lifesaving benefits and puts your family at risk.
– Fire drills aren’t just for schools – practice escape plans at home too. Develop an escape plan with two ways out of every room, then practice so everyone knows what to do when the smoke alarm sounds.