Every year, Edmonds Community College offers free income tax return preparation and efile services to US citizens and residents with incomes of less than $49,000. This service is sponsored by an IRS program called, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). Volunteers are taught using IRS training guidelines and are IRS certified to provide confidential tax preparation to qualified taxpayers. Last year, Edmonds Community College helped more than 400 campus and community members file their tax returns.
Confidential tax return preparation will be offered on a drop-in basis from Feb. 7-March 16 and from April 3-13 in Mountlake Terrace Hall room 212, Edmonds Community College, 20000 68th Ave. W., Lynnwood. No tax preparation will be done during spring break, March 17-April 2. Assistance in several languages will be available.
Here’s what to bring to get help with a tax return:
– a copy of last year’s tax return (if available)
– picture ID (required)
– Social Security cards for all persons claimed on the tax return
– W-2 forms, 1099 and 1098 forms
– unemployment compensation statements
– retirement income forms
– child care expenses (including provider name, address and employer number)
– if you are a student, bring tuition and expense receipts and any loan interest paid
Tax forms will be provided.