Fire causes $120,000 damage to Edmonds apartment Sunday

243
1
Firefighters on the scene Sunday.

Updated at 10:32 a.m. with condition of police officer, possible cause of fire.

A fire caused more than $120,000 and displaced three people from their apartment in Edmonds early Sunday morning.

The fire was reported around 3:30 a.m. at an apartment complex in the 7600 block of 230th Street Southwest. “Police arrived on the scene first and reported flames coming from a second-floor unit in one of the buildings,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fir e District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical service in Edmonds.

An Edmonds Police Department officer went door-to-door to evacuate residents from the burning building. The officer was transported by firefighters to Harborview Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation. She was released from the hospital before 10 a.m. Sunday.

“She did an outstanding job of alerting residents to the fire and making sure everyone got out safely,” Hynes said.

Firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Shoreline responded to the fire and had the fire under control in about 20 minutes. “They kept the flames from spreading to other apartments. All the fire damage was in one three-bedroom apartment,” Hynes said.

The fire started on the deck of the second-floor apartment. Fire investigators were unable to determine exactly how the fire started, but said they could not rule out discarded cigarettes as the cause.

The second-floor unit where the fire started is uninhabitable. The three young adults who lived there have no renter’s insurance. Support 7 and Red Cross responded to assist them. Red Cross is also assisting other residents of the building who may be temporarily displaced until power is restored to their apartment.

 

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY