Warriors have their way with Hawks, 35-0

E-W quarterback Davis Giles runs with the ball. (Photos by Joleen Sims)
E-W quarterback Davis Giles runs with the ball. (Photos by Joleen Sims)

Edmonds-Woodway scored on their first and last possessions of the first half and used that 14-point half-time lead as a springboard to go on and beat the Mountlake Terrace Hawks 35-0 in a non-conference football game at Edmonds-Stadium. The Warriors have now won their first two games by a combined score of 84-0.

E-W got the ball first, and immediately went to work. Quarterback Davis Giles started with a 12-yard keeper and also hit Scotty Myricks on a 12-yard pass to the Warriors’ 47. Giles hit Mac McLachlan for a 15-yard screen pass and McLachlan took a direct snap for four yards. A couple plays later, Giles found Jack Shull for 15 yards and a first down. On the next play, Junior Opoku-Mensah ran 22 yards in for the score and with Ebrima Fatty adding the extra point, the Warriors had a quick 7-0 lead. Opoku-Mensah would go on and run for 166 yards in the game.

MLT recovered the ensuing kickoff at its own 38 and on the first play, the snap was fumbled by the Hawks quarterback and recovered by Theo Lebesis on the 35. The Warriors’ drive started from there. On third down, Opouk-Mensah quickly gained 23 yards, setting up a first and goal from the three. On the next play, the Warriors fumbled themselves, turning the ball back over to the Hawks.

Starting from near their own goal, the Hawks advanced to the 35-yard line on the third play of the drive on a 15-yard first down completion from Jonathan Williams to Gabe Brady and an illegal hit by the Warriors. After three runs, the drive stalled, leading to a 32-yard punt with no return.

With three minutes left in the first quarter and starting on their own 22, the Warriors began with a 15-yard Opoku-Mensah run. Following a delay of game penalty, Giles scrambled for a 15-yard gain and another first down. The first quarter ended with the Warriors unable to get another first down and being forced to punt on the first play of the second quarter, which Chance Ragsdale returned 16 yards.

The Hawks’ first possession of the quarter started on their own 38. Brady caught a 12-yard pass from Jonathan Williams to get MLT into Warrior territory. On third and 14, Ragsdale caught a 12-yard pass,setting up a fourth and 2. A false start led the Hawks to choose to punt and Austin Bates pinned the Warriors on their own 1 with a 46-yard punt in the corner.

Junior Opoku-Mensah scored three times Friday night.
Junior Opoku-Mensah scored three times Friday night.

Starting with E-W backs against their own end zone, the Warriors created some room with Opoku-Mensah gaining 11 yards out to the MLT 12-yard line. Opoku-Mensah’s 25-yard gain on the next play was nullified by a holding penalty. On thirrd down, Giles’ 12-yard pass found Travis Lyon for 12 yards and a first down. Opoku-Mensah then ran on four consecutive plays. On fourth and 6, Terrace jumped offside and Opoku-Mensah — now only needing one yard — easily converted the first down with a five-yard run. On the next play, Giles hit Myricks at the 15-yard line and he shook off the defender and ran it in the rest of the way for the score. After the extra point, it was now 14-0 E-W with just over a minute left in the half. After Terrace was unable to get a first down, the Warriors took over with time for one more play, a long pass from Giles that was intercepted as the time expired in the first half.

The Hawks started the second half from their own 25 and on the third play of the drive, McLachlan jumped the Hawks pass route and intercepted it, returning the ball to the 12. Two plays later, Opoku-Mensah made it 20-0 on a six-yard run for the score. Fatty added the extra point to extend the lead to 21.

Mountlake Terrace’s next drive began on its 35. On third and 8, Williams completed a 19-yard pass to Austin Bates to the E-W 44. After another first down, the drive stalled four plays later when the Hawks failed to convert on a fourth down attempt as Williams was sacked by Tyler Rheinford — and MLT turned it over on downs.

Starting from the Warriors’ own 45 and following a couple of runs on third and 8, Giles was nearly sacked, but escaped and ran for 21 yards thanks in part to a key block by Zac Hollek. Three plays later, Opoku-Mensah gained 11, setting up first and goal from the one-yard line. On the next play, following a delay of game penalty, Opoku-Mensah ran it in from the six-yard line for E-W’s fourth score of the game and the Warriors had assumed firm control, leading 28-0 with just under 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

The Warriors had two more drives. The first was spotlighted by Chantz Justice running, fumbling and having the ball recovered by Jason Smarr, who was headed for the end zone, only to have is stripped and he lost the ball as well. Fortunately for the Warriors, Travis Lyon fell on the ball. All of this resulted in a 37-yard gain for E-W. Three plays later, the Warriors settled for a 37 yard Fatty field goal attempt, which was just short.

MLT’s next possession started on its own 20. After a first down to the 32, Williams’ pass was picked-off by Rheinford and returned 34 yards for E-W’s fifth and final touchdown of the game.

After the game, Giles was given the Sound Live Sports Network/Jersey Mike’s Player of the Game Award. The win moves the Warriors to 2-0 heading into next week’s rivalry game with Meadowdale. Game time is 8 p.m. and fans are encouraged to arrive early as the stands will be jammed and the E-W senior class is hosting its annual Salmon barbecue fundraiser starting at 4:45 p.m. The game will also be broadcast live on the Sound Live Sports Network.

— By Jeff Smarr


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *