Hand-tool battery charger likely cause of early Sunday morning fire on Highway 99

the commercial building at 21705 Highway 99 that was damaged in an early morning fire on May 18. Firefighters had to cut triangular openings in the garage doors to get to the fire. (Photos by Doug Petrowski)

Fire investigators believe a hand-tool battery charger sparked an early-morning fire Sunday that caused more than $200,000 damage to a commercial building on the Mountlake Terrace/Edmonds border on Highway 99.

Snohomish County Fire District 1 firefighters were dispatched after police reported smoke coming from a two-level building in the 21700 block of Highway 99 about 1:30 a.m. “There was smoke throughout the building when firefighters arrived,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Fire District 1, which provides fire service in Mountlake Terrace and Edmonds.

Firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Shoreline responded to the blaze. It took about 20 minutes for crews to locate and extinguish the fire. No one was inside the building at the time of the fire; there were no injuries.

A worker helps to remove smoke-damaged materials from the upper floor of the building.

The fire started on the lower level of the building in a shop that repairs and installs vehicle wheelchair lifts. The fire caused limited structural damage, but there was smoke damage throughout the building. All parties have insurance.

The building had been home to a number of businesses in recent years, including a hair salon and a driving school, but that number has dwindled to three, the vehicle wheelchair lift installer, an insurance broker, and a third unknown business.

If you like what you are reading, please consider a weekly, monthly or one-time voluntary donation of any amount to support our work. You can donate via this link.

Leave a Reply