Fundraising effort started for woman critically burned in Westgate house fire

The Maddox family, courtesy of GoFundMe.com

Sue Maddox, far left, with her family. (Photo from GoFundMe.com)

My Edmonds News was contacted Wednesday night by Karen Nelson, a family friend of the Edmonds woman badly burned in Tuesday’s Westgate neighborhood house fire, letting us know about a fundraising effort to cover the victim’s medical bills.

According to Nelson, Tuesday’s fire severely damaged a home owned by Richard and Sue Maddox, the former owners of the Maddox Grill in Lynnwood (and previously in Richmond Beach). “Sue sustained critical, life-threatening injuries,” Nelson said. “She will most certainly be in the hospital awhile and her medical bills will be substantial.”

More information from the GoFundMe.com page set up to help with expenses:

Most of you have come to know and love the Maddox family through the restaurant or by their wonderful children, Kelly and Amy. We are setting up this account to give their community a chance to help them cope with this tragedy. Please donate what you can and pass this along to anyone you feel would want to know about this.

 

You can donate via the GoFundMe page here.

If you like what you are reading, please consider a weekly, monthly or one-time voluntary donation of any amount to support our work. You can donate via this link.

7 Comments

  1. I am saddened by this news. I have fond memories of Sue’s welcoming and warm presence at the Maddox Grill and her pleasant stops at our table to visit about our kids and just life in general. I wish her speedy recovery and both her and her family all the very best.

    • I know Sue well and am really upset about this. I hope she gets well fast and that their house and things will be covered by insurance.

  2. I have only met Sue a couple times but am good friends with friends of hers. I am so saddened by what happened and want the family to know that I and my prayer groups are praying for her recovery. I appreciate Karen Nelson starting the community fund raising.

  3. Oh dear! We loved them at Richmond Beach, followed them to Lynnwood, and missed them terribly when they closed the Maddox Grill. Sue was always coming by to greet us, chat about the grandbabies we brought in and in general, was the smile that made us return time and time again.
    We hope and pray for a speedy recovery so that all might enjoy that smile of hers once more!

  4. We are heartbroken to hear about Susan’s accident and pray for a speedy recovery. She will receive the best of care at Harborview’s Burn Unit.
    We have grown to love & respect The Maddox family over the last 25 years and will continue to support them anyway we can. Our positive energy and prayers will continue to travel your way until we see your sweet smile again

  5. We are very saddened to hear the news! We spent many Fridays talking to Sue at the Maddox Grill in Richmond Beach when they first opened and visited them in Lynnwood. our prayers go out to Sue, Rick and the family. We wish her a speedy recovery! Jerry & Dolores Hestad

  6. What a tragedy! There are really no words to express how sad we are to learn about Sue. She is a real inspiration, always cheerful, helpful, greeted us with a genuine interest on how we were, what we were up to etc. Maddox was a favorite place to go, so sad to see it gone. Prayers for Sue and her family!

Leave a Reply