The Edmonds Church of God will be celebrating its centennial with a weekend of events Aug. 22-24.
According to a church announcement, the Church of God movement — based in Anderson, Indiana — began in 1881. In the summer of 1914 at the “Tall Timbers” camp meeting in Edmonds (the campgrounds were located at the western foot of 196th Street Southwest at what is now Laurelhurst Park) a group of recent converts decided that a church was needed in the Edmonds area. They began by renting the Baptist Church, located at 5th and Bell. The announcement continued:
The Church was led on a part- time basis by pastors from the Woodland Park Church of God in Seattle (present day Fairview Church of God in Seattle). In order to have Sunday school the Church rented the Coterie Club also located at 5th and Bell. When the Coterie club was sold the now growing congregation moved to the American Legion Hall at 6th and Dayton. During this time the congregation purchased 3 lots at 6th and Walnut for $200 each from the then Edmonds mayor Mr. Fortner.
In 1946 work began on the new church at 6th and Walnut. With much donated labor and material the church was completed for the final cost of $30,000. The first service was held on Easter Sunday in 1947. The still growing congregation worshipped at the 6th and Walnut Church until 1975 when property was purchased at 8224 220th St. S.W. The present church building was constructed in 1975 again with much donated labor keeping the construction cost at $200,000. The dedication service for the new facility was April 26, 1976. A Sunday school wing was added in 1981 and an all-purpose community center/gym/worship center was completed in 2000.
The church staff and congregation, including Senior Pastor Bob McGuire and Associate Pastor Cailen Heaton, invite all past and present church attendees, pastors, staff and community members to visit the church Friday, Aug. 22, at 7 p.m. for an open house with refreshments and desserts. On Saturday, Aug. 23, at 5 p.m. there will be a formal celebration with music and video presentations and key speakers including a catered dinner. A special worship service will be Sunday, Aug. 24, at 10:30 a.m., follow by a potluck and barbecue.
To RSVP or for questions, contact the church office at 425-774-8836.