The August rain didn’t stop the annual Edmonds Sand Sculpting contest. Over 34 teams came Tuesday to show off their sand skills at Marina Beach.
Sculptors competed in three different categories, “adult/family,” “children” and “day camp, daycare and large groups.”
Each category had two winners and one honorable mention. Judges for the competition included Mayor Dave Earling. Winners received a bucket of saltwater taffy from Nama’s Candy Store.
Winners and honorable mentions are as follows:
– Sleeping Dogs by Emily, Bear, Taylor and Jojo of Edmonds.
– Sandy Owls – Art Wise NW by Osborne and Glass families of Edmonds.
Honorable mention: Aboriginal Dreaming by Sea Town Sculptors of Kenmore
– Termite Kingdom by Three Musketeers Emma, Zoe and Cecilia of Edmonds
– Flower Castle by Macy, Abbey and Blake of Edmonds
Honorable mention: Dried up Ocean by Shaun and Angelo of Bothell
Day camp, daycare and large groups
– Olaf in Summer by Zabu Group 10 from Lynnwood Kamp Kookamunga
– Olli the Octopus by Tortoise Group 5 from Lynnwood Kamp Kookamunga
Honorable Mention: The Islands of Japan by Hekinan Sister City Delegation from Hekinan, Japan and Edmonds
— Story and photos by Lily Jaquith