One of the highlights of this weekend’s Edmonds Waterfront Festival, running Friday-Sunday at the Port of Edmonds Marina, is the 10th Annual Classic Yacht Display sponsored by Pacific Northwest Classic Yacht Association. You’ll have a chance to meet the owners and tour the boats, up to 73 feet long.
Here’s a list of what you’ll see. Note that all vessels may be boarded with the owner’s permission:
ADAGIO – 34’ – owned by Christian and Jeanne Dahl is a 1948 Richardson Sedan Cruiser built in New York for a Puget Sound buyer to her specifications. She has had several owners, including Wolfe Marine and most recently the Palmers. They added the wood railings on the fore deck, otherwise the exterior is close to original. She was re-engined with twin Graymarine 232 engines in 1964. Windows were replaced with newer water tight design that preserved the original profile and curves. She appears to be a combination of plywood bottom/transom, with laminated plywood/ planked sides. Minor repairs were made to the bottom with reinforced chine for lifting straps within the last few years. She currently is moored in Lake Union.
APRIL ANN – 42’ – owned by Bob and Jytte Wheller. April Ann (formally Carousel) is a two station, full displacement , Ed Monk Sr. design built on the Tacoma waterfront at Cummings Boat Co. in 1953. She is 42’ long with a beam of 12’6” and a draft of just under 3ft. The hull is 7/8” Western Red Cedar over 2 ½ steam bent oak ribs 9” o.c., with galvanized fastenings. April Ann is powered by twin counter-rotating Chrysler 318 marine V8 engines driving 3-bladed 19/18 bronze props with 1 ½ stainless steel shafts through 2:1 Paragon reduction gears and V drives. Cruise speed is 8.5 knots at 1800 rpm consuming 5.5 GPH total. We have owned the boat for 22 years, and she is home ported at Bremerton Yacht Club.
ASTELLE – 40’ – owned by Doug and Nina Altman-Weeks. Astelle’s Keel was laid in Vancouver, BC in 1938, through her launch was delayed until 1942 due to WWII. Orginally named Double J, she was commissioned by JJ Astel and designed by Stan Hope. She is constructed of yellow cedar planking on oak frames with a mahogany house. Astelle’s original Chrysler Crown 6 was replaced with a 65 hp Perkins diesel in 2003. She cruises at 6 knots with maximum speed of 9.4 knots. Her portholes date from 1919, being salvaged from HMCS Vancouver. Astelle’s sister ship, Faranda, a member of CYA Canadian fleet, is based in Vancouver, BC.
COMRADE -38′ – owned by Robert & Karen Birdseye – Designed by H.C. Hansen and built by Franck & McCrary in 1930 on Seattle’s Lake Union. Comrade was first owned by H.W. Davis, Jr. Her second owner, C.H. Bolin, won the Small Cruiser Class of the 1936 International Predicted Log Race from Seattle to Nanaimo. In the late thirties, Bolin developed an automatic control system for the marine industry, one of which is still operational aboard the Comrade. The third owner, the Birdseye family, has cruised Northwest waters for the past 65 years.
EL MISTICO – 45’ – owned by James Poirson, is a 44′ 7″ Power Cruiser (better known as a Bridge Deck Cruiser) launched on May 25, 1927. She was designed by Thearle and Nordstrom and was the only luxury yacht built by Ballard Marine Railway. Her hull is constructed of Port Orford cedar planks fastened onto steam bent white oak frames. Her cabin is constructed of teak and mahogany. According to a contemporary edition of Pacific Powerboat Magazine, M/V El Mistico was the first mid sized oil powered boat in the Puget Sound to have her engine and transmission remotely operated and monitored from the pilothouse, thus removing the necessity of a crew member stationed below to operate the machinery through commands transmitted by telegraph. She was originally powered by a 40 HP Fairbanks and Morse two cycle four cylinder 650 RPM diesel engine. Now on her fourth repower, she now sports a 210 HP Caterpillar 3160 eight cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine. It is rumored that M/V El Mistico spent the Second World War tucked in a box and hidden under the Ballard Bridge so as to escape being commandeered by the U. S. Navy as a patrol boat. Lending credibility to this rumor, the current owner is unable to locate copies of her registration for the years 1941 through 1946 in an otherwise unbroken series of annual registrations.
ENCORE – 49’ – owned by Roger and Janice Palmer has been maintained in it’s original condition since 1962 with a few upgrades to the plumbing and wiring. We are the third owners of Encore (Previous names Sabra and Arcondo) and are giving the vessel a new look by following the 1962 original catalogue pictures for repainting the exterior, adding new exterior canvas, refinishing the teak decks, replacing of cushions inside and out, stripping the interior and repainting and varnishing as we go. Overall she is in great condition, a very comfortable and stable cruising vessel.
FREYA – 40′ – owned by Mike & Nere Oswald – built in 1940 by Tacoma Boat. Al Frey wrote Ed Monk Sr. in 1939 and requested “…you design me a boat that can go from the most northern point of the State of WA to the most southern point of the Territory of Alaska without me having to buy any damn Canadian gas…” Monk and Frey never could agree on a pricefor such a design so Ed Monk sold Frey the “rights” to a design that Monk had drawn in 1928. So, as a result, the Freya was born. Freya’s first engine was a used Lycoming Straight Six (75 hp with max running speed at 800 rpm’s). Today she is powered by a modern Isuzu diesel engine. Frey took Freya north to Alaska 12 times and she was a well known predicted log racer. Freya served with the Navy Reserve from 1942 to 1944. Mike and Nere purchased the Freya from the Frey estate in 1991 and began a series of modernizing upgrades. Mike and Nere still plow the waters of Puget Sound, Canadian waters and inlets and villages of the Inside Passage.
HOLIDAY – 36’ – owned by Dan & Tami Bartlett. The Holiday was built for my Grandfather Rex Bartlett. Designed by Ed Monk Sr and built at Edison Technical School on Lake Union in 1946. Along with Jimmy Chambers, Earl Wakefield and Vic Franck also worked on building her. I grew up on the boat and later helped “Gramps” maintain her. She has now been in the family for over 67 years.
SCANSDALON – 45′ – owned by Joel and Diane Van Ornum – a Chris-Craft double cabin fly-bridge cruiser with deluxe sun deck. She was built in 1953 in Algonac, Michigan and delivered to Bryant’s Marina in Seattle in the spring of that year. After four previous owners, the current owners purchased the craft in 1993 and she is currently moored in Kenmore, WA. The vessel is powered by twin Chrysler 413 engines. The draft is 3′ and the hull, cabin, foredeck and gunnels are in mahogany as well as the double planked bottom.
TURNING POINT – 42’ – owned by Bill & Patti Linscott – A Lake Union Dreamboat built in 1928 at the Lake Union Dry Dock Company in Seattle. “Dream Boat” was a trademarked name. The original configuration accommodated eight passenger berths. Staterooms include one forward with built-in berths and drawers underneath, and a full-length clothes locker. The salon has double berths on each side and bookshelves overhead. In the original layout, there was a single berth above these double berths. Renovations to date include removal of an un-original flying bridge, hull repair, new wiring and electrical systems, installation of an 86Hp Isuzu diesel engine, water system with new tanks, and galley cabinetry. Pleasant cruising is at 7-8.5 knots, with max speed at 10 knots.
WANDERER – 33’ – owned by Bob and Lori Scott – 1927 Wanderer was built by Karl Rathfon in Tacoma. She was the 6th or 7th “Toyship” built by Karl. Powered by a Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel. Hull is cedar carvel plank/oak/Honduras mahogany with fir deck beams. House is constructed of bright mahogany panels.
ZANZIBAR – 48′ – owned by David Huchthausen. Zanzibar was built by the Stephens Brothers yard in Stockton, California in 1957. Stephens was renowned for its quality, producing only 1246 vessels in its 84 year history. Originally commissioned as the “Gaylee” for well known Portland marine dealer John Trellinger, the $70,000 cost was equivalent to three custom homes at the time. Zanzibar is powered with a pair of balanced and blue-printed 392 CI Chrysler Marine Hemis producing 580 total horsepower. The sweeping exterior lines arc from the cabin top to the transom, following an original 1948 design by Theo Stephens. The house and decks are constructed of thick Burmese teak. Hull planking is inch and a half Honduran mahogany over oak frames and fir stringers. Zanzibar retains her original hand oiled teak interior and has been immaculately maintained by four owners over the past 47 years.
For more information visit www.classicyacht.org.
Festival hours are Friday 3-10 p.m.; Saturday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Admission is $3; kids 12 and under are free. All proceeds benefit Edmonds Rotary Noon Club programs.