Taking one last trip before summer winds down? Make sure you plan ahead for stress-free travel and a fun, relaxing Labor Day weekend, the Washington State Department of Transportation says.
Drivers can use the WSDOT traffic volume charts this holiday weekend to “know before they go” and help time their travel on key routes.
Drivers also can:
-Check out WSDOT’s mobile app, social media sites – such as Twitter and Facebook – and online tools for traffic information and ferry schedules
-Call the 511 travel information hotline. For out-of-state callers, it’s 1-800-695-ROAD (7623).
-Pre-program vehicle radios to 530 AM and 1610 AM for highway advisory radio alerts
-Allow extra time for holiday travel and congestion; consider traveling during non-peak hours
To ease congestion, most state highway construction work is suspended during the holiday weekend starting on Friday. Regions with ongoing holiday work or disruptions include:
· A Street on-ramp to Interstate 705 in Tacoma – closed around the clock for HOV construction
· Northbound State Route 7 on-ramp to southbound Interstate 5 in Tacoma – closed around the clock for HOV construction
· 20th Street East in Fife – closed through spring 2017 for I-5 Puyallup River Bridge construction
· SR 7 at milepost 30 west of Eatonville – traffic reduced to one alternating lane around the clock for slide repair
· Northbound Interstate 405 – nighttime lane and ramp closures from Friday, Sept. 4, through Monday, Sept.7, near Bellevue between Northeast 8th and Northeast 70th streets and in the Totem Lake area from 124th Street and State Route 522. The work is part of the I-405 widening and express toll lanes project and is scheduled for evenings to minimize any traffic delays.=
Interstate 90 Vantage Bridge
· Single lane closures Interstate 90 eastbound on the Vantage Bridge due to an on-going painting project that can’t be demobilized. Drivers should expect delays and are strongly encouraged to consider alternate routes via US 97, Interstate 82 or State Route 24.
Grays Harbor County
· US 101 north of Artic at Rock Crusher Hill, milepost 72 – traffic reduced to one alternating lane around the clock for slide repair
· Simpson Avenue Bridge in Hoquiam, will be closed from Aug. 31 to mid-October for bridge painting – detour via Riverside Bridge
· US 101 north of Hamma Hamma, milepost 316 – traffic reduced to one alternating lane around the clock for slide repair
Other important information:
- The State Route 520 bridge will have weekend toll rates on Monday, Sept. 7.
- Washington State Ferries travelers should check out the new reservation system for smoother holiday sailing. Reservations are strongly recommended for the Anacortes/San Juan Islands, Anacortes/Sidney, B.C. and Port Townsend/Coupeville ferry routes. Reservations can be made on line at www.takeaferry.com or by calling 888-808-7977. Visit the schedules and best travel times website for more details.
- Most public transit systems will follow a holiday schedule, and some transit systems will not operate fixed-route or Dial-A-Ride service on holidays.