“Why isn’t there any Edmonds in A Taste of Edmonds?”
I have heard this question over and over.
Being new to the Edmonds Chamber of Commerce (the producer of the event), I took it upon myself to “Bring Edmonds back to A Taste of Edmonds!” After all, how hard could it be? Clearly it’s what the people want. I was on a mission.
After talking with many, many local business and restaurant owners, I learned why only four of the 35 food vendors in the Taste are local (Demetri’s Woodstone Taverna, Kafe Neo, Scott’s Bar & Grill and Moonshine BBQ). In addition, I discovered why many local stores pass on having a booth in the Taste.
While our local restaurants are sympathetic and understand that people would love to see them in the Taste, most just can’t participate. And here’s why:
1. They don’t have enough staff to operate a booth and the restaurant at the same time.
2. They don’t have a mobile kitchen to prepare food away from the restaurant.
3. If a chef cannot prepare a signature dish to their standards, they don’t want to sell it!
4. They can’t store all the food and supplies they will need for the Taste.
5. Plus all the other items you need for the event: tent, insurance, tables, signs, etc…
The same is true with our local stores. Between staffing, bringing in enough merchandise to sell, getting insurance, tents, tables and display racks; it is a lot to ask a small business owner.
Lucky for us, we can frequent our wonderful local restaurants and businesses any time of the year.
So there you have it. Yes, it is called A Taste of Edmonds, and you may feel like there should be local food available to make it feel more like Edmonds. But the truth is, A Taste of Edmonds is one of the highest-rated festivals in the state and people are coming from all over to see our wonderful city. And when greeted with a warm welcome, they are certainly going to want to come back to explore more, “tasting” what Edmonds has to offer.
Visit our new website, www.TasteEdmonds.com for more information about the 2017 A Taste of Edmonds.
— By Jan Nicholas, Edmonds Chamber of Commerce