I’m writing in hope the eyes and warm hearts of our Police Chief Compaan and Fire Chief Bruce Stedman have the opportunity to review and consider the below content.
To most of us, our eyes do not lie:
- The traffic violations we see every day, are not decreasing.
- The traffic accidents we see every day are not decreasing.
- Pedestrian injury/deaths due to automobile involved accidents, are not decreasing.
- The property crimes we experience every day, are not decreasing.
- The amount of time your agencies are spending addressing opioid related crime/medical, is not decreasing.
- The diversity/types of crime occurring in Edmonds, that used to be considered extremely unusual, are not decreasing.
- The population you and your talented, brave and fearless team’s serve is not decreasing.
All of those facts scream a need for resources. Let alone, http://mynorthwest.com/878052/edmonds-traffic-calming-solutions/
I, nor anyone I know, would ever belittle the services you and your brave men and women provide us every day. But, it is hard to believe you are receiving the financial support required to be as effective as you are now required.
The catalyst for my letter is the recent announcement/plea for money to address SERS and end of life.http://myedmondsnews.com/2018/01/aging-county-emergency-radio-system-must-replaced-officials-say/
To me and most reasonable citizens, this cannot be the only vital system your teams’ require, aging due to a lack of required maintenance. The SERS system is facing a, “fall off the cliff scenario” due to no fault of anyone under your management. How many other of these “fall off the cliff “scenarios” do you see coming? Where have you been denied funds to meet service requirements?
I’m writing to suggest you begin to think out of the box in building relationships with your best lobbyists…. Those you protect. It should be the citizens of your jurisdiction lobbying the politicians, not you or your unions. We’re not interested in hearing about the occasional town hall meeting, arguing with city council after your requests have been parsed through them nor the occasional public announcement post on the city website (from 12/2016).http://www.edmondswa.gov/images/COE/Government/Departments/Police/Documents/Letter_to_the_Editor_article_on_My_Edmonds_News-Compaan.pdf
Tell us the truth about your current preparedness and what you require to keep up with the current crime/public safety trends. If you’d like help organizing a “Public Safety” State of the City Address, I’m fairly certain there are enough concerned citizens, we could fill the ECA. Let alone, keep a meeting of this type on a productive track.
My email is attached to the post and I’m fairly certain you two know how to find me.