Dog dies in Edmonds house fire


A small dog died in a fire that caused more than $100,000 damage to an Edmonds home Tuesday afternoon.

A neighbor called 9-1-1 at 12:18 p.m. to report he could hear a smoke alarm sounding and smoke coming from the eaves at both ends of a house in the 22100 block of 88th Avenue West. No one was home at the time of the fire and no one was injured.

“Firefighters made a quick attack and were able to contain most of the fire damage to the kitchen area and attic space above. However, there was heavy smoke damage throughout the house,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

The fire left the house uninhabitable and displaced three adults. The homeowners have insurance.

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s office determined the accidental fire was most likely started by combustibles left on a gas stove top where a burner control may have been inadvertently bumped into lighting position.

“To prevent fires, keep anything that can catch fire, oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains, away from your stovetop even when its not in use,” Hynes said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *