Firefighters put out mattress fire at Westgate-area home Monday morning

A firefighter douses the mattress that caught fire. (Photos by Peter Gibson)

A mattress fire in Edmonds’ Westgate neighborhood caused about $20,000 in damage to a second-story bedroom in the 22000 block of 96th Avenue West near Westgate Elementary Monday morning.

Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokesperson Leslie Hynes said an electrical fire was the likely cause of the blaze, which was limited to the bedroom but resulted in severe smoke damage. While both parents were at work, three children in the home — ages 18, 9 and  7 — were able to get out safely after smelling smoke and calling 911 around 8:30 a.m., Hynes said.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, there was wispy smoke coming out of the home’s second-story window. They were able to put out the fire in five to 10 minutes, Hynes said.

The fire scene Monday morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.