Cooking fire displaces family of six in Edmonds Saturday

A cooking fire caused more than $25,000 damage and temporarily displaced a family of six from an Edmonds home this afternoon.

The residents reported the fire at 2:25 p.m. at the split-entry home in the 23200 block of 82nd Pl. W. They safely exited the house.

Heavy smoke was coming from one end of the house and through the attic vents when firefighters arrived, said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1. “The residents were cooking when oil in a pan caught fire and ignited the cabinets above the stovetop. They tried to extinguish the flames, but the fire spread into the attic.”

Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood had the fire under control in about 15 minutes. No one was injured. Damage was contained to the kitchen and the attic and roof area above the kitchen.

Volunteers from Support 7 and the Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross responded to assist the residents, who will need a place to stay while repairs are made. The residents were renting the house and do not have insurance.

Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Fire District 1 offers these safety tips to preventing cooking fires and injuries:

– Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled. Never try to carry the burning pan out of the house — this can result in burns and spilling burning oil can spread the fire throughout the house.

– Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop.
– Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
– If you are simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.

– Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.