Fire causes $150,000 damage to Edmonds home

The fire we reported about earlier Wednesday night displaced a family of four and caused more than $150,000 damage to a home in Edmonds.

The fire was reported around 6:45 p.m. by the residents of a two-story home in the 1200 block of 8th Avenue South. A couple, their two children and an adult guest all safely exited the house.

“Firefighters could see a column of black smoke as they approached the house,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire service to the City of Edmonds. “When they arrived, flames were coming out second-story windows on the back of the house.”

Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and fire damage was contained to a master bedroom suite on the second floor. The damage left the house uninhabitable. Red Cross responded to assist the family. The homeowners have insurance.

A fire investigator determined the fire started in a kitchenette in the master bedroom when the knob controlling the stovetop was bumped into the “on” position and ignited a box that had been placed on the burner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.