On this day in history: George and Etta Brackett file a plat for first townsite in Edmonds

The following is from Historylink.org

On August 23, 1884, George and Etta Brackett file a plat for the first townsite in Edmonds. The plat includes provisions for a mill site, water, and parks.  It is the first plat filed in a spot that will grow to become the second largest city in Snohomish County.

Founder of Edmonds

George Brackett (1841-1927), a Canadian-born logger, had arrived in Seattle in 1872 and shortly began exploring possible timber stands along Puget Sound.  In 1876 he acquired property along the shoreline and up the hill beyond in what would become the town of Edmonds.

From that beginning he sought to develop the small, growing community.  He expanded his own land holdings and encouraged others to come and do the same.  He was responsible for the first mill, an early wharf, and for starting a school system. After the town incorporated in 1890 he became the first mayor and served city council terms during much of his lifetime.

He was one of those persons instrumental in establishing streets and other aspects of the community infrastructure, and he encouraged the establishment of an automobile ferry route across Puget Sound from Edmonds.  Although he was not the only person to develop the town, he became generally acknowledged as the founder of Edmonds long before his death on December 27, 1927.

Etta Jones Brackett (b. 1859) was born in Minnesota; she moved west and married  George Brackett on June 20, 1877.  Her home was one of the first and largest in early Edmonds and as such was often a center for social gatherings and prayer meetings.  The couple had six children and divorced in bitter proceedings in the fall of 1905. She later married Edward Carpenter and moved to California.

One Reply to “On this day in history: George and Etta Brackett file a plat for first townsite in Edmonds”

  1. History Link.org also discusses that the community’s population fell two short of the three hundred residents required to incorporate. Legend has it that the townspeople simply listed Bollivar Brackett and Bill Brackett among the Edmonds residents whose names appeared in the census count. The two did indeed live in the community, but neither was truly eligible to participate in such an undertaking, for Bollivar was a bull and Bill a cattle dog owned by town founder George Brackett.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *