Edmonds-area fire calls, week of Dec. 22-28

Snohomish County Fire District 1 responded to 318 calls the week of Dec. 22-28: 258 emergency medical aid calls, 20 motor vehicle collisions, 21 fires, 7 service calls, 1 natural gas leaks and 11 automatic fire alarms. The following calls were in or near Edmonds:

Dec. 22
COLLISION:  At 1:16 p.m., a two-car collision was reported on 244th Street Southwest near Lake Ballinger in Edmonds.  One person with minor injuries was transported by firefighters to Swedish/Edmonds Hospital.

CAR FIRE:  At 6:56 p.m., a car fire was reported in the 22500 block of 73rd Place West in Edmonds. The driver told firefighters he smelled an electrical odor, but kept driving. Within a couple of blocks, there was so much smoke in the car that he couldn’t see well, so he pulled over and opened the door to get some air. He then saw flames coming from the back seat, so he turned off the engine and exited the car. When firefighters arrived, the car was engulfed in flames. They extinguished the fire and transported the driver to Swedish/Edmonds Hospital to be treated for smoke exposure.

Dec. 25
HOUSE FIRE:  At 7:43 p.m., a house fire was reported in the 13800 block of Silver Firs Drive east of Mill Creek. A woman safely exited the split-entry house and there were no injuries. Flames were coming from a second-floor window when firefighters arrived. They quickly extinguished the fire and rescued four puppies from the smoke-filled house. The puppies were given oxygen and taken to a veterinary clinic in Everett. The fire started when the Christmas tree in the living was ignited by overheated strings of Christmas lights linked together and connected to a single outlet. Damage is estimated at $175,000.

Dec. 26
CAR FIRE:  At 9:15 a.m., firefighters extinguished a car fire on northbound I-5 south of the 44th Street exit in Lynnwood.

Dec. 28
FIRE:  At 2:56 p.m., a fire was reported at a home in the 23100 block of Wachusett Road in Woodway. No one was injured.  Workers were installing flooring in a utility room using flammable adhesive. They shut off the gas at the meter, but were unaware that the pilot light on the hot water heater was still on. Fumes from a one-gallon bucket of adhesive ignited. Workers carried the burning bucket outside, igniting the door and burning small areas of carpet along the way. Damage is estimated at $15,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.