Children playing with fireworks cause $30,000 in damage to Edmonds home Sunday

Fire officials believe children playing with a firework sparked a small fire that caused more than $30,000 damage to a home in Edmonds Sunday.

The fire was reported at 5:34 p.m. in the 8200 block of Sierra Drive. “The homeowner called 9-1-1 because there was smoke in the house and they couldn’t locate the source,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical services in the City of Edmonds.

Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood responded and quickly located and extinguished the fire. One firefighter was evaluated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but was able to return to work. There were no other injuries.

The fire damaged a small area of siding, wall and ceiling. The family of five adults and four children will be able to remain in the house.

The family was setting up for a garage sale prior to the fire. Two children, ages 5 and 6, told fire investigators they came across a fountain-style firework in the boxes of items being sorted for the garage sale. The children then located a lighter or a match, and lit the firework as it was leaning against the side of the house, according to investigators.

  1. these are meth heads that live in a van in the driveway. this was caused by them cooking meth and are using thier children as an excuse. their children go to the nieghbors to as for money so the parents that live in the van can buy drugs.

    and for the record, the property is a junk yard. they were not setting up for garage sale…it always looks like that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.