This Sunday, Sept. 16, the Edmonds Historical Museum will unlock the door to its newest exhibit space, a restored jail cell on the lower floor of the museum building. As part of the centennial celebration for the Edmonds Police Department, both the museum and police station will be open from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, offering visitors a look at police facilities old and new.
The police department was once located on the lower floor of Edmonds’ Carnegie Library building (now the museum) along with City Hall, council chambers and other city offices. Before the Carnegie Library was built in 1910, the lot was occupied by city hall and the jail, two separate structures, and a 75-foot fire bell tower to the north. City offices moved into the lower floor of the library upon completion, but the jail remained in a separate building until 1922 when the first cell was constructed in the library’s basement coal bin. The original jail cell was equipped with steel bars in the window and a steel door made at the Yost Auto Company’s shop; two additional cells were added post-1940. The police department was located in this building until new facilities were built in 1962.
The museum’s restored jail cell, complete with two bunks, a sink, toilet and original graffiti on the walls, will be open to the public starting Sept. 16. The project was made possible in part by assistance from the Snohomish County Community Heritage Program. The museum’s current exhibit, “Stick ‘Em Up! Celebrating 100 years of the Edmonds Police Department,” will also be open to visitors during the open house event. The exhibit runs through Nov. 4, 2012.
The Edmonds Historical Museum is located at 118 5th Ave. N., in downtown Edmonds. It is open regularly Wednesday through Sunday from 1-4 p.m., and on Summer Market Saturdays (through Oct. 6) from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Suggested donation is $5 per adult and $2 per child. For more information, go to historicedmonds.org.