Members of the Edmonds Fire Safety Foundation and Edmonds-South Snohomish County Historical Society made it official Saturday morning: The Historical Society, which operates the Edmonds Historical Museum on 5th Avenue North, will now be responsible for ensuring that Edmonds’ firefighting history is preserved — including a vintage 1938 Ford Fire Engine now stored at Fire Station 17 in downtown Edmonds.
For 14 years, the fire safety foundation has raised money and provided needed supplemental equipment for the Edmonds Fire Department during lean economic times. The foundation made the decision to disband and pass along its remaining resources — about $57,000 — to the Historical Society.
The agreement between the two organizations establishes responsibility should the City of Edmonds ever relinquish ownership of the 1938 fire engine, which the fire safety foundation raised funds to purchase as part of the department’s 100th anniversary celebration in 2004. Mayor Dave Earling, who was on hand for Saturday’s signing, acknowledged the importance of the firefighters’ history to the Edmonds community.
The 1938 Ford Fire engine, restored by a retired Edmonds firefighter, was in service with the Edmonds Fire Department until 1965. The foundation raised more than $10,000 to purchase the vehicle.
The fire safety foundation also collected memorabilia representing Edmonds’ firefighting history over years, and hopes to establish, along with the Historical Society, a permanent fire museum in Edmonds.