Do you want to find out a little more about the Edmonds Memorial Cemetery and Columbarium? Come to the cemetery on Thursday, July 18, at 1 p.m. to take a “Walk Back in Time” and learn about the history of the cemetery and the people buried there.
The guided tour is conducted by members of the Cemetery Board, who will be dressed in period costumes. The tour is divided into three sections and lasts approximately one hour. In addition to the guides there will be several “ghosts” throughout the cemetery telling their life stories including Edmonds founder George Brackett, portrayed by local actor John Hartquist and Edmonds pioneer Mary Knott Langrill, a laundress and mother of six daughters, played by Betty Deebach Gaeng. Also on the tour are descendants of Christopher Columbus Cook sharing stories of their great grandfather.
The 6.5-acre cemetery was founded in 1891 by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge. Over the next century numerous owners managed the cemetery until 1982 when Larry Hubbard, an Edmonds businessman, purchased the site and gave it to the City of Edmonds to maintain and operate.
In 1972 the Edmonds Memorial Cemetery was placed on the Washington State Register of Historic Places. There are many Edmonds pioneers and fourteen of the City’s mayors buried in the cemetery. Some graves date as far back as the Spanish American and Civil Wars. The most recent addition to the cemetery is the Columbarium, completed in October 2006 and located in the northeast corner of the grounds.
The Edmonds Memorial Cemetery and Columbarium is located at 100th Avenue West and 15th Street Southwest, one block north of the Westgate QFC. Street parking is available. The tour is free and refreshments will be served. For those who are unable to make the event, self-guided tour brochures are available year-round at the cemetery. For more information, call 425-776-1543.