Update on Westgate QFC stabbing death: A drug deal takes a tragic turn


Additional details have emerged suggesting that Friday morning’s stabbing death in the Edmonds Westgate QFC parking lot was the result of a drug deal gone bad.

The Snohomish County Medical Examiner has identified the dead man as 23-year-old Colin S. Dahlquist of Bainbridge Island. Reports from the police and the Snohomish County Prosecutor suggest Dahlquist was in Edmonds to complete a drug deal when his two accomplices tried to steal his money. In the ensuing altercation, Dahlquist was fatally stabbed in the chest.

The Prosecutor’ Office has identified the suspects as a 21-year-old Kirkland man and 28-year-old woman from Bellevue. Documents filed with the court during a probable cause hearing on Monday provided additional details of events surrounding the crime.

According to these documents, at 5:55 am on Friday, March 28, Edmonds police units were dispatched to the Westgate QFC parking lot following reports of a fight involving three persons appearing to be in their early 20s. A subsequent call came in while police were en route reporting one person on the pavement and apparently hurt, and that two others had driven from the scene in an older model silver car.

Arriving at the scene, police found Dahlquist on the ground with a stab wound to his upper chest. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Other police units stopped a silver 1990 Chrysler New Yorker occupied by the two suspects a few blocks away. The woman was taken into custody. The man, bleeding from injuries to his face and possibly to his lower body, was transported to Edmonds/Swedish for evaluation. He was later returned to the police station.

At the station, both suspects were interviewed and admitted meeting Dahlquist earlier at the Edmonds ferry terminal, purportedly to take him to another location to purchase drugs. Instead, they drove him to the Westgate QFC, where they planned to steal his cash and leave him behind in the parking lot.

Both stated that in the resulting altercation, Dahlquist produced a large knife, and that during the fight the knife penetrated his own chest. The Kirkland man, bleeding from wounds sustained in the fight, jumped back in the car and fled the scene with his female accomplice behind the wheel. The couple sped away, leaving Dahlquist bleeding to death in the parking lot.

Money was later recovered from the suspects. Both remain in custody. The prosecutor has until 5 p.m. Wednesday to file charges in Superior Court.

— By Larry Vogel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *