Ask the Edmonds Cop: Speeding ticket? Now what?

Edmonds Police Sgt. Shane Hawley answers your public safety questions. This week: What are your options if you receive a speeding ticket?
  1. SLOW DOWN!!!!! You have a couple of options. You can pay the citation fine if you committed the infraction. You can take a “deferment” meaning, you pay a court administrative fine and if you don’t commit another violation for 1 year, the ticket is removed from the court where you took the deferment. It is as if you never received a ticket at all. You can only use a deferment once every 7 years. You can contest it. By contesting, you are saying that you didn’t deserve the speeding ticket and that you want to have your reasoning heard in court, in front of a Judge. If you feel strong enough that your citation is not warranted, then by all means contest it. I would caution you not to be “frivolous” about your citation. Be prepared to provide proof that you didn’t commit this infraction. Remember, this is a speeding ticket, not the end of the world!
    One other piece of advice, once you contest the citation and you send the citation form in, and once you receive a court date, you have 30 days to request the Officer’s notes”. You must petition the Prosecuting Attorney’s office for this information. This is your right!
    I hope this helps.

  2. Or just slow down. I live on Olympic View Drive, and speeds along our street – with lots of “hidden” driveways – can be as high as 40, judging by the “Your Speed” sign. Want your own parade? Just drive up Olympic View at the legal limit – 25 – and in half a mile you’ll have four or five cars piled up behind you. We need speed bumps or some traffic circles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.