EWHS locked down briefly Tuesday after student threatened with knife


Edmonds-Woodway High School was locked down briefly Tuesday morning after a male student was threatened by another male on the school’s campus. No one was harmed and the suspect was arrested, police said.

According to Edmonds police spokesman Sgt. Shane Hawley, the incident occurred at approximately 9:20 a.m. Tuesday on the north side of campus in the staff/visitor parking area. A 16-year-old male from the Lynnwood area, accompanied by a female, came to the campus because he “had an issue” with the EWHS student, Hawley said. When the suspect, who was not an EWHS student, started to confront the student, another student tried to intervene, and the 16-year-old pulled out a knife.

The suspect and his companion then fled, and the school was put on lockdown as a precaution while police searched the area. Police found the suspect, who was in possession of “throwing knives,” about 20 minutes later, Hawley said. The suspect was arrested and booked into Denny Youth Center for second-degree assault, possession of a dangerous weapon on school ground, and a minor in possession of alcohol, Hawley added.

The school was removed from lockdown at 9:48 a.m., he added.

Here’s the letter that EWHS Principal Terrance Mims sent to school families Tuesday:

September 19, 2017

Dear Edmonds-Woodway Families –

This message is to provide detailed information about the lockdown situation that occurred today at Edmonds-Woodway High School.  Thank you for your patience and understanding, as we have worked to insure that all students and staff are safe. Situations like these, while rare, do unfold quickly and our highest priority is taking steps to insure the safety of students and staff on our campus.

School staff and City of Edmonds Police responded very quickly to the report of a male student having been threatened by two individuals. This threat occurred at approximately 9:15 a.m. on the northside of campus in the staff/visitor parking area. The two unknown individuals fled. Notifications to put the school into lockdown started immediately as our student witnesses were brought into the school office. Neither student was physically harmed.

A complete investigation of this incident is being conducted by the Edmonds Police Department.  Much of this information was communicated to all Edmonds-Woodway families at approximately 9:50 a.m. using phone numbers on file in our student information system.

This message is, again, to make sure that all parents/guardians in the Edmonds-Woodway school community are informed of these events.

Terrance Mims

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *