David Hoar of Edmonds guilty of second-degree murder in death of roommate

The victim, Samantha Ellis, with her late husband Keith Ellis. (Photo courtesy the Ellis family)

Edmonds resident David Hoar was found guilty Monday of second-degree murder in the December 2016 death of his roommate Samantha Ellis, also of Edmonds.

The six-man, six-woman jury came back with the guilty verdict in Snohomish County Superior Court. The 64-year-old Hoar is scheduled to be sentenced by presiding judge Anita Farris on June 1.

In opening arguments, prosecutors said that Hoar assaulted 45-year-old Samantha Ellis, on Dec. 16, 2016 after the two had a dispute in the apartment they shared in the 8100 block of 236th Street Southwest. Snohomish County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Daniel Selove determined Ellis died due to injuries sustained in the assault one to three days later; Hoar continued to live in the apartment and didn’t call 9-1-1 to report the death until Dec. 19.

Paramedics and police who arrived on scene found numerous bloodstains in the kitchen, bathroom, on a pillow at the head of the bed, and on Hoar’s clothing. According to a police report, Hoar was extremely intoxicated, slurring his speech, stumbling and leaning against walls. He told police Ellis had fallen and cut open the back of her head on the counter, and had stopped breathing recently.

Hoar’s charge is a class A felony, and carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

— By Thomas Fairchild

5 Replies to “David Hoar of Edmonds guilty of second-degree murder in death of roommate”

  1. Thank you to the jury. Sam’s family and friends are relieved to hear this verdict. Thanks also My Edmonds News for the tone in this article as well as for covering the case and using this photo of Sam with my father at their wedding. She was a gentle, warm woman who was loved.


  2. Thank you for covering this story. Samantha was a good soul and I am certain her mother will appreciate your article. To clarify, the picture you posted is of Samantha and her husband Keith Ellis on their wedding day 1999. Also, the ME testified that he believed she died within 12 hours of 2 causes: blunt force trauma and blood loss. The testimony was that 4 days after the deadly assault, David Hoar called 911. And 2 days after that, David Hoar was arrested.
    Thank you for all you do to keep our community informed. And thank goodness for the people of the jury that gave peace to a grieving mother.


  3. MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER and the man she loved with all her heart Keith Ellis are together in heaven resting in peace knowing that justice was served. She has left so many beautiful memories in so many of us. Thank you for posting the picture of the happiest day of all our lives- Keith and Sami’s wedding. I know Keith is taking care of her right now. He made that promise to me many years ago and Keith was a man of his word. Sami and Keith are at forever peace now. Love you and will always miss you. No one can take my beautiful memories of both of you away.


  4. That you for your level reporting of this sad incident. Dave Hoar is a very gentle soul with a horrendous alcohol problem. He has many loyal friends going back to elementary school and we continue to support him in his efforts to stay sober. This is a sad situation for everyone involved. I only with the victim’s family and friends had been there for her when she needed them. Dave’s friends with he had reached out to us when he needed us.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *