Washington State Department of Transportation traffic engineers say the combination of several special events and roadwork will mean increased congestion and traffic delays into the Seattle area this weekend.
In addition to planning extra time to get around, travelers should also consider carpooling, taking transit, as well as checking their route before hitting the road this weekend.
Delayed opening of I-5 express lanes
Washington State Department of Transportation crews will delay the opening of the southbound Interstate 5 express lanes for maintenance work.
- Saturday, May 5 – The I-5 express lanes will remain closed until 10 a.m. The lanes will open southbound after the closure.
- Sunday, May 6 – The I-5 express lanes will remain closed until 10:30 a.m. The lanes will open southbound after the closure.
- Both days, the lanes will open in the northbound direction at the normal time of 1:45 p.m.
People can avoid delays on southbound I-5 by using alternate routes, such as State Route 99 or I-405 and SR 520 to get into Seattle.
Opening day of boating season
To assist with the opening day of boating season festivities, the Montlake Bridge will close to vehicle traffic at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 5. The bridge will then close to pedestrian and bike traffic at noon to allow about 900 boats to sail through the cut. The bridge will reopen to all traffic at 4 p.m.
In addition to the bridge closure, other ramps will be closed from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.:
- The westbound SR 520 off-ramp to Montlake Boulevard.
- The left turn lane of the eastbound SR 520 off-ramp to Montlake Boulevard.
I-5 overnight work
Up to three lanes of northbound I-5 between the West Seattle Bridge and Lakeview Boulevard will close from 8 p.m. Saturday, May 5 to 5 a.m. Sunday, May 6. The University Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will also be closed during that time. This work is weather dependent.
Friday, May 4:
- Mariners vs. Los Angeles Angels, 7:10 p.m., Safeco Field
Saturday, May 5:
- Sounders vs. Columbus, 1 p.m., CenturyLink Field
- Mariners vs. Los Angeles Angels, 6:10 p.m., Safeco Field
Sunday, May 6:
- Mariners vs. Los Angeles Angels, 1:10 p.m., Safeco Field
Seattle-area drivers can get real-time traffic information on their phone with the WSDOT traffic app, by tracking the WSDOT traffic Twitter feed, and by checking out the Seattle Area Construction Page.