The Snohomish County Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism and the Snohomish County Tourism Bureau have announced a series of regional Future of Tourism Think Tank Workshops, including one focused on coastal communities including Edmonds.
The free workshops will be led by Future iQ, Inc., an international sustainable tourism development and strategic planning firm. The regional day-long workshops will bring tourism industry stakeholders and community partners together to consider their shared tourism futures collectively.
The free Think Tanks will be held in four locations throughout the county from June 18-21. The coastal communities Think Tank will be held on June 21 at the Future of Flight Aviation Center from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
“The Think Tank process developed by Future iQ has been used successfully by communities around the world experiencing rapid growth,” said Annique Bennett of Snohomish County Parks, Recreation and Tourism. “Our goal is to maximize economic opportunities for local communities in tourism while ensuring we are able to protect our beautiful natural resources.”
The participatory sessions will be held in four identified visitor regions consisting of neighboring communities with shared geographies: saltwater coastlines, river valleys, and dense amenity clusters. Participants can come to one or all sessions based on their visitor region affiliation. The identified regions are as follows:
- Skykomish-Snohomish River Valleys – June 18 at the 4H Building, Evergreen State Fairgrounds
- Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Monroe, Sultan, Startup, Gold Bar, Index and Skykomish
- Stillaguamish-Sauk River Valleys – June 19 at Hadley Hall, Arlington Boys and Girls Club
- Arlington, Oso, Darrington, Mountain Loop Highway, Granite Falls, Stillaguamish and Sauk-Suiattle
- Basecamp Communities – June 20 at the Northwest Stream Center, McCollum Park
- Bothell, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood, Mill Creek and Everett
- Coastal Communities – June 21 at Future of Flight Aviation Center
- Woodway, Edmonds, Mukilteo, Everett, Marysville, Tulalip and Stanwood/Camano
Key themes of the Future of Tourism Think-Tank Workshops include:
- Determination of regional “future tourism readiness” of infrastructure, visitor transportation, and growth impacts
- Review of important global, national and local trends influencing tourism
- Identification of the key factors shaping the future of tourism in each region
- Formation of four plausible scenarios for the future of regional tourism outcomes
- Identification of the preferred and expected futures, and their possible implications
- Exploring needed action steps for each region
A short, pre-session survey will inform each regional workshop and can be completed here. Participants can register for one or multiple Think Tank sessions; registration is required. Registrants are asked to attend the entire day-long session. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.