Early-morning fire damages Edmonds townhouse Thursday

No one was injured in an early-morning fire caused more than $55,000 damage to an Edmonds townhouse.

A passerby called 911 at 4:35 a.m. to report smoke and flames coming from the two-story structure in the 7800 block of 196th St. SW.  “This is less than half a mile down the road from Edmonds Fire Station 16 so we had firefighters on scene within minutes,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for South County Fire.

Firefighters could see flames inside a bedroom. They made a quick attack and had the fire knocked down within 10 minutes. Damage was contained to the one room and its contents.

No one was home at the time of the fire. South County Fire investigators determined the fire was started by clothing placed too close to a wall heater. “Some electric wall and baseboard heaters can be turned down, but don’t turn all the way off. They will come on automatically when the temperature drops. That’s why it’s important to keep clothing, furniture and other flammable materials at least three feet away from heaters at all times,” Hynes said. Heating equipment is the leading cause of home fires in the United States. The National Fire Protection Association offers these safety tips: ·

-Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

– Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

– Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.

– Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.

– Test smoke alarms at least once a month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *