The Edmonds Senior Center is presenting a free “Your Life, Your Wishes: Advance Directives” workshop Wednesday, Dec. 11, from 9:30 a.m. to noon in the Edmonds Library Conference Room, 650 Main St.
Facilitators are Michelle Reitan, MSW, Sue Shearer, RN, BSN, and Angel Malidore of the Edmonds Senior Center. Sign up by calling admin office at 425-774-5555 ext. 104. Space is limited to 20 and an RSVP is required.
While most Americans say they would prefer to live through the end of their lives at home, surrounded by friends and family, the reality is the exact opposite. This workshop is designed to educate people and stimulate ongoing conversations about health care decisions at the end of life. Presenters will help participants explore these questions:
1) Who will be your voice if you are unable to speak?
2) What life-sustaining treatments do you want?
3) What values shape your choices for treatment?
4) What documents make your choices known to others?
5) What options & alternative choices are there for burial and memorial services?
This community class is focused on how to live well at the end of life by making choices now on health care options. Each participant will receive helpful handouts that they can take home to discuss and share with loved ones and physicians.