Medical oxygen fire safety tips for older adults

According the United States Fire Administration, older adults have a 2.6 times greater risk of dying in a fire than the U.S. population as a whole. In the U.S. and Canada, adults age 65 and older comprise about 12% of the population, making it essential to take the necessary steps to stay safe. Last year there were 76 fire fatalities in Washington, and 22% were adults age 65 or older.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office notes that many older adults are on medical required oxygen in their homes. If a fire is present, medical oxygen can cause material to ignite easier and make fires burn at a faster and hotter rate than normal.

Practice these safety rules where medical oxygen is in use:

– Never smoke where medical oxygen is being used.

– Post “No Smoking” and “No Open Flames” signs inside and outside of the home reminding residents and guests not to smoke.

– Keep oxygen cylinders at least 5 feet from a heat source, open flames or electrical devices.

– Never use aerosol sprays containing combustible materials near the oxygen.

– Never use a candle, matches, sparking toy, a fireplace or stove, or any other device fueled by gas, kerosene, wood, or coal around medical oxygen or an oxygen tank in use.

– Body oil, hand lotion and items containing oil and grease can easily ignite. Keep oil and grease away from where oxygen is being used.

– Make sure that homes have smoke alarms and test them monthly.

– If a fire starts in an oxygen-enriched space, the fire is likely to spread quickly, igniting clothing, curtains, furniture, bedding, hair and anything in the area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.