Position open on Edmonds Citizens’ Tree Board

The Edmonds Citizens’ Tree Board has one member position that is vacant. The city is seeking applications for this position and any other tree board positions that become available in the near future.  The application form is available on the city’s website (see details below) or can be requested by emailing devserv.admin@edmondswa.gov.

The Citizens’ Tree Board encourages the planting, protecting and maintaining of trees for long-term community benefit. Tree board meetings are held the first Thursday of each month starting at 6 p.m. in the city council chambers (250 5th Ave. N., Edmonds WA 98020). Meetings are presently in person only. Tree Board meeting materials are posted on the city’s meeting agenda webpage.

Members also have the option of assisting with special events such as tree planting for Arbor Day.

Board members must live within the Edmonds city limits. Residents from different watersheds and neighborhoods within the city are welcome. Preferred interests or professional backgrounds include:  urban forestry, horticulture and habitat enviroscaping.  Anyone is welcome to apply.

Each tree board member is appointed by a city council member. All appointments must be confirmed by a majority of the city council.

More information about the tree board is on the city’s website.

Anyone wishing to phone the city for an application form to be mailed may do so by calling planning and development at 425-771-0220.  ersons leaving a voicemail message should remember to include their name, mailing address and ZIP code.

Applications must be submitted to the city by 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 16. Submittal information is included on the application form, which can be found online at www.edmondswa.gov  Go to Boards and Commissions/Boards & Commissions Openings under the government tab and click on Tree Board application.


  1. It’s too bad arborists (like myself) who are keen to apply can’t simply because we live in unincorporated parts of Edmonds… thw city is missing out.

      1. We are IN Edmonds, not next to it. Simply a part that is unincorporated. Our address reads Edmonds and has the same zip as Edmonds.

  2. Another example of people living near Edmonds wanting the Edmond’s ambiance, without Edmond’s governmental issues and hassles. I’m not big on the tree board concept in general but I definitely don’t want non-citizens putting in their two cents worth. If someone is going to tell me what I can and can’t do with my own trees, I definitely want them to actually live in Edmonds and pay all required Edmonds taxes just like I do, thank you very much.

    1. I live in Edmonds proper, simply the unincorporated part. I pay the taxes you do. Currently no one on the tree board has any experience with forestry or forests or tree or Urban related issues. Why wouldn’t you want someone who lives in the city despite it being unincorporated volunteering their time for this? Thanks for reconsidering your unthoughtful comment.

      1. Katy, you live in the Edmonds community, just not within the City of Edmonds, i.e. inside the City Limits. You might want to check your property tax bill~ none of your taxes go to the City of Edmonds, rather they go to the county, the state, the school district, and a few other taxing authorities.

        That said, I agree with your basic premise, that people with certain expertise and who are willing to share it in the public interest, they should be allowed to do so. If I were rewriting the city ordinance establishing the Tree Board, I’d have it allow you to be appointed to the board. Thank you for your interest in the Edmonds community!

        1. First off, no one is telling Ms. Bigelow she can’t share her expertise with anyone who wants to pay her for it or anyone she wants to donate it to (such as free advice to our city tree board). If I want her to tell me if my tree is sick or how it should be trimmed, I will pay her for it. Do I want her giving her expert advice combined with a vote (big distinction) on an officially sanctioned city advisory board? No.

          Secondly, would I ever vote for a person to serve on City Council who advocates for non-citizens to be appointed to officially sanctioned city counsel advisory boards? No.

      2. Katy, your home does have an Edmonds address, but you live in unincorporated Snohomish County north of Edmonds. Here is what you will find on your tax bill. You will see the Tax Category and the rates listed below for your neighborhood. Hopefully it posts in a table format.
        District Rate/1000
        PUB HOSP #2 0.06
        STATE 2.67
        SURFACE WATER – SWM06800 This is about $130
        TOTAL $ 9.4/1000
        If you lived in Edmonds, you would not have some of the items marked with Sno Co. but you would have a line item for “City of Edmonds” for $1.18/1000. Bottom line is in your neighborhood you tax rate is $9.40/1000 but if in Edmonds you tax rate would be $8.35/1000 or $1.05 less.

        Your input to the tree board would be welcomed by just attending and commenting. The board is always interested in new input.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real first and last names — as well as city of residence — are required for all commenters.
This is so we can verify your identity before approving your comment.

By commenting here you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Please read our code at the bottom of this page before commenting.